Thursday, March 08, 2007

I'M BACK

Apologies for the lack of posts - I wish it was because I'd been enjoying myself at Staples, but alas fate conspired against me and I've been stuck here with work responsibilities in America's finest cul-de-sac.

Two important things have happened this week. First, Sandy Barbour made it pretty clear that we've got at least one more year of Ben (Braun) ball with her public comments in support of the coach. As I said earlier, I think it's time for a change provided that we've got some indication that an upgrade is out there (Monty, etc) who would be willing to take the job and salary package. I trust Sandy - a very smart administrator with a good track record - to hold Ben to a high standard in '07-'08 and (in the meantime) get her ducks lined up if the team falls short of expectations. I was more than a little concerned about her statement that Ben has done a great coaching job this year - I don't see it, and I'm interested to know where our readers come down on this specific point.

Secondly, Ryan Anderson went off last night and led Cal's domination of the truly hapless Beavers. Speaking of coaching changes, what the hell is Jay John doing with that program? For those, like me, who grew up in a conference dominated by UCLA and OSU, it's almost sad to see what Beaver basketball has become.

But back to Ryan. It's great to see a freshman in his 30th game this season have that kind of performance. No tired legs for RA, who seemed to be sending a message to conference coaches that he had as much claim on the FOY award as Budinger, Hawes and the rest of the stellar Pac-10 freshman class. We're gonna get pistol-whipped by UCLA in about an hour and a half, but Ryan's 27/14 performance gives us further reason for optimism heading into next year. DeVon makes the right decision, rehabs go well, Boykin lives up to his rep, Randle steps up - and we should have a Sweet 16-level team next year.

I hope Sandy agrees.

7 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glenn Dickey in the Examiner is right: Braun needs an offensive coordinator. But, in any event, he deserves a shot next year. It looks like a really good squad and he put it together. But it doesn't happen next year, he should be done....

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope work didn't stop you from enjoying Cal's upset of UCLA!!!
(like my 3:30-5 lecture did).

GO BEARS!!!

Does this earn us an NIT bid? Seems like a toss-up at this point.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Accidental Guru said...

No pistol whipping here. Go Bears!

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger California Pete said...

Wow! Regardless of what happens tomorrow and beyond, congratulations to both Ubaka and to Braun. Not a bad way for the former to end his Cal career--and ditto for the latter, if this year ends up being the end for him as well. (And who's to say, now, that this weekend will be the end? I have an old-school love for the NIT--one of the reasons why I still hate the fact they expanded the NCAA field to 64/5--and another Big Apple banner hanging in Harmon would look pretty sweet.)

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tightwad-sorry to see that your prediction of a pistol whipping was off, but congrats to you and Cal for the upset over my Bruins. Your boys played great, probably about as well as they could, and really kept their composure as the game ended. Good luck the rest of the way.

UCLADJ89

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger yat said...

it's simply time for braun to go...i worry this win over ucla buys him another extension

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous generalpervaizmusharraf said...

This cannot have effect in actual fact, that's what I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home