MONDAY GRAB BAG
- The Comical ran a nice love letter to the Cal program here, pointing out that 83% of the players in Tedford's first recruiting class are on track to graduate within five years. We're generally not big fans of the NCAA's academic barometers, because they can be terribly misleading given the short shelf lives of CFB coaches. While it's nice that Cal is second in the Pac 10 in Academic Progress Rate with a 94.5, it doesn't tell the whole story (just as Arizona's 88.2% doesn't totally condemn Mike Stoops. OK, that's a bad example). What is clear is that Tedford has cleaned up Tom Holmoe's mess and returned Cal to where it should be in the classroom as well as the field. Kudos to him.
- Oregon is unveiling the ugliest helmet since, well, the ugliest helmet ever. You know, if a recruit actually chooses Oregon over Cal or some other school because the Ducks have more fashion options, then that is the definition of addition by subtraction.
- Rumors swirl that Bob Bowlsby has put down the bottle and is ready to hire Bobby Hauck as Stanford's coach. Let's see - young coach, disciple of a more famous and controversial HC (Neuheisel), reputation as a crackerjack recruiter.....where have we heard that before? We love the smell of surrender in the morning.
- DeSean won the Golden Glock - sets him up nicely for a Heisman run next year, perhaps?
- How hot is UCLA basketball? This hot.